Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

just don't get it...



Last night I watched the movie Stop-Loss. I watched it upon the recommendation of a friend who had already told me the premise of the movie, but I still wanted to watch it. Now, Jake my husband is in the military. But he is in the Coast Guard (which is primarily a branch of the Department of Homeland Security, not the Department of the Defense) which means I really know nothing about the military like a typical "military wife". I just know that have a lot of rules that were put into affect 100's of years ago and are kept out of tradition, not practicality. Not the smartest way to run an operation in my opinion, but Jake loves his job...so.



But let me get back to my point... Stop-Loss. Stop-loss is where the military takes a guy who has done his time in service, went to Iraq and maybe Bagdad 3 times and he is OVER IT. Or maybe he's ready to go back to school, or whatever the case he has completed his 4 years or the time that was left on his contract and when he is going to get out of the military they Stop-Loss him. They tell him no, you cannot get out. You're basically being "drafted" back in and if you try to ignore it, it is the same as going AWAL, no matter what. In the movie they referred to it as the backdoor draft, because men already trained and ready are forced back into service. Service or Jail, those are pretty much your options. And the movie ended with currents facts about people who have been Stop-Lossed. The facts said that 650,000 people have gone to Iraq due to the "war" or whatever this is and 30,000 more to Afghanistan. And out of the people that have JUST gone to Iraq 81,000 have been Stop-Lossed (forced to go back overseas even though they completed their tour and their time in the military.)



I just couldn't get over this. How??? I kept asking, how can they do that? HOW? Jake responded, "baby when you are property of the military, they can do whatever they want." But I retorted, they are not property any longer, there time is UP. And then retorted with something about fine print... and in a time of war... they can do what they want.... But I was outraged. I just watched 2 hours of men dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Death and then they have to go back, because of fine print... I didn't get it. And I was sad.



There has also has been a lot of attention in the news about women in the military that are being killed by men in the military. There have been 3 murders this year, and after watching that movie I wasn't surprised at all. These guys on the front lines when they come back, they think the world is a video game and you can just kill whoever pisses you off or gets in your way. When you are surrounded by violence, degradation of women, killing and death in other countries, it's no surprise that some of these people don't know how to return to "normal" life when they come back home.

It made me really sad.

War makes me sad.

I have been a semi-pacifist since college. Not a full one, because I'm not dumb enough to believe war won't exist (it hasn't ever NOT existed), but I am under the impression that if we follow Jesus we choose peace, which in turn makes you pacifistic.

So war makes me sad. Last week's Extreme Makeover Home Edition, (where the Marine lost his legs in battle) and is now raising his 4 children alone, is reason enough for me to never have war again.



1 Comment:

shanelley84 said...

i tried to get david to watch that movie with me, but i think i've come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be good. i have known SEVERAL men and women who have been stopped lossed and i know that movie would just make me more angry than i already am. be thankful every day that jake is in the coast guard... even though he is a part of the govt, its much different.

and oh yeah, don't ever feel left out for never feeling that "military wife" experience... it makes you a stronger person, but is never easy along the way.

good blog. thanks for telling me about it. i need to blog again. maybe you've inspired me.

miss you!

-shanelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily