Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sewing for Dummies



I think that's what they call the sewing class I started taking this last Monday for FREE at the local continuing education site... Or is it Sewing Fundamentals?
Ahh, ya maybe that's what it's called.
Either way the teacher said if you don't know what a bobbin is or how to thread a sewing machine, you're in the right place. I thought to myself well good, because the only time I've heard the word bobbin was at a Fall Festival once when people were "bobbin' for apples".
However, in one class I mastered sewing straight on paper. And next week I actually get to make something (out of fabric) which should be both frightening and delightful at the same time.
By the end of it all, I'll supposedly know how to hem my pants and make a dress. We'll see how all that works out. But regardless I'm excited. I was less excited when I saw the supply list that consisted of like 50 items.
But if I turn out to be any good at this, I might be making my own napkins or drapes or something, which would be nice. The saving grace is I'm going with a friend. So, at least I'll have someone to laugh at all "MY" failures with me. I think she's gonna be quite good, she has some background knowledge. She knew what a bobbin was. At least one of us did.
I'll let you know how it goes!
XO

3 Comments:

Hunter and Nancy said...

I am so excited hearing you are taking a sewing class. Wish I was closer and you could use my Viking sewing machine and I could help you. I am not an expert but have made a number of things and do like sewing now and then. Good luck. You are very creative so I am sure you will like it and sew some fun things.

La said...

fun! I wish I could go with you - although I like to think I'm more than a beginner when it comes to sewing (but not much more!). Stitchwitch is my friend. I just finished posting how I made my curtains WITHOUT sewing. =)

Good luck!

Kimberley said...

Well, I have to admit that back in the day they TAUGHT us how to sew in Jr. High and High School. I guess your education failed you. :) ALthough I was talented enough to MAKE some clothes AND wear them to H.S., I guess I failed you for not owning a sewing machine and teaching you what a Bobbin was! Quite funny actually. The only sewing machine I ever owned was an antique that came from someone on your dad's side of the family. We sold it for quite a large sum (hundreds of dollars anyway)and instead of repairing clothes over the years, I just bought new ones. :0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily